Tsarev Kurgan, Samara: description, location and interesting facts
There are many interesting places on earth that you want to visit. One of these is Tsarev Kurgan in the Samara region. This natural monument is interesting for its legends. What it is, where it is located, read the article.
Tsarev Kurgan in Samara is a unique place with which many secrets and legends are connected. But historical information about its occurrence has long been scientifically proven and justified. Kurgan, Falcon and Zhiguli mountains consist of coal seams. They testify to the location here in the distant past of a continuous mountain range, the location of which was the bottom of the sea. Bare rocks are the oldest in the Volga region. The coal system, which is a layer of mountains, was formed long ago, 300 million years ago.
Tsarev Kurgan in Samara, whose history comes from the depths of the centuries, has many testimonies of the life of people in this territory. Scientists have found traces of ancient settlements, tools of the Scythians, underground tunnels.Probably on the dome of the mound in ancient times was located the cloister of the monastery. Numerous remains of plant and animal origin have been found here.
The mound was 80 meters high to the middle of the 20th century. But during the construction of the Volzhskaya HPP, the kurgan lost its half, since at the summit the mining of building material was organized, without which the construction of the object was difficult. Human activities led to the formation of a huge career. Over time, its territory is overgrown with trees.
Tsarev Kurgan (Samara) is located 40 kilometers from the city, near the village of Volzhsky, which until 1961 bore a different name - Big Tsarevschina. The hill is part of the Falcon mountains, which belong to the spurs of the Zhiguli. The river Sok at the foot of the mound flows into the Volga. The hill has an unusual shape, which can be compared with a gentle oriental dome or a large table designed for a meal.
The mound is often called the mountain-ostatom. Its size is 400 x 200 meters. From the top of the hill one can see its surroundings: the village of Volzhsky, the river Sok, the village of Shiryaevo and two mountains on the opposite side,which together constitute a natural landmark - the Zhiguli Gate.
About how the name originated, the legends are folded. The mound was first described in 1634. During a trip along the Volga River to a foreign ambassador, the local population told a legend according to which Tsarev Kurgan in Samara is the place where Prince Mamaon is buried. He always dreamed of conquering Russia. To this end, taking with him the seven princes, Mamaon rafted down the Volga. The trip was unsuccessful, he died. His soldiers brought a lot of land to the burial site, from which a hill of decent height was formed. This legend can explain the name of the mound.
The following legend is as follows. Peter I, making a trip to Derbent, made a stop in these places. By his visit, he blessed the then wooden church of the Nativity of Christ, which was built at the beginning of the 18th century. After that, a stone slab with an inscription hollowed out by the king appeared at the highest point of the mound.
According to another version, in antiquity for the local population Tsarev Kurgan was considered a sacred place. Climbing on it and just being around could only royal persons.Hence the name.
From the point of view of science, this is explained as follows. The rocky rocks of the Zhiguli Mountains were eroded by waters. Over time, a small part separated from them, washed by the Volga and Sok. A mound formed.
At the foot of Tsarev Kurgan in the first half of the 19th century (1833) a church was erected, which was named in honor of the Nativity of Christ. Funds for its construction were donated by a landowner by the name of Dashkova. The author of the project was the architect Corinthian. The construction was carried out using the traditions of Russian classicism. Currently the church is an architectural monument.
During the Soviet era (1931), the temple was closed and a storage facility for grain was built there. Only 58 years later, the building was returned to the Orthodox Church. Restored the temple bit by bit. For this area, an unforgettable event went down in history in 1996, when the doors of the church were open for parishioners.
Tsarev Kurgan (stone) is very popular. Samara is famous for other attractions. On its other side is the church in honor of the icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary, built in 2004. It has a bell tower, font and baptismal.During the Soviet era, the temple suffered a lot of hardship. It was built before the revolution and then resembled a wooden chapel. Bolsheviks throughout the country burned down church buildings. The fire did not bypass the chapel.
Inexhaustible Bowl Source
People from all corners of our country come to the village of Volzhsky not only for the sake of walking on the famous mound. For many, the purpose of the trip is to visit the holy source. On the opposite side of the mountain, on which the Church of the Nativity of Christ is located, there are two springs, the distance between which is several centimeters. In both sources, the water is cold, but one of them is considered warm.
According to legend, at the very top of the mound there once stood a monastery, whose clergymen drank spring water from these springs. Obviously, in the 17th century, buildings of St. Sava were located there.
Not far from the village of Volzhsky Tsarev Kurgan (Samara) is located. How to get to it to admire a large cross mounted on a hill? This can be done in different ways. Regardless of the type of transport, tourists enter the village, where a landmark stands on the slope of the mound.
The construction of the cross is timed to the 1000th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia.His installation was accompanied by interesting weather conditions: it was raining, the wind was blowing, the sky was overcast. The cross was delivered to the mound by helicopter. When he flew up to the installation site, the sky directly above the mound was illuminated by sunlight.
There are many interesting events connected with Tsarev Mound, here are some of them:
- Popular rumor says that the wedding of Stepan Razin and the Persian princess took place at the very foot of the mound. But this rite brought a lot of blood. The priest of the church refused to hold the wedding of the leader with the basurmanka. Then the chieftain gave the order to crucify him on the altar, and the clergy to bury him alive in the ground. The ceremony was performed by a man from the retinue of Razin.
- Another legend is popular among the local population. When the Turkic conqueror Tamerlane defeated Tokhtamysh's army, a feast was rolled on the mound. In the glow of golden brocade, the celebration lasted for almost a month. The commander's wife was tired of a long feast, and she dispersed all those gathered.
- An interesting fact from history is that Emperor Alexander I ascended Tsarev Kurgan in Samara. It happened in 1824.
- A memorable event is a visit to these places by Catherine II in the second half of the 18th century (1768).
- Volga landscapes were fascinated by artists, poets and writers, for example, Repin, Abramov and Gogol. Panorama of the mountains left an indelible mark on Lenin’s soul.
How to get there
Where is Tsarev Kurgan in Samara? How to get to the nature monument by car? Getting to the right place is easy if you follow the Samara-Tolyatti highway. The nearest sleeping districts of Samara are 30 minutes away by private car, by public transport the trip will take a little longer - 40-50 minutes. Buses following the 78th and 79th routes pass through the village of Volzhsky. The 113, 447, 389, 406 and 392-th numbers of minibuses are not passing by.
You can go on a trip by bus number 50 from the train station. In this case, you need to make a transfer to the bus 78/79 or a minibus above the described directions.