Red Orchid: description, photo, features of care
Do you want to create at home a corner of tropical exotic - bright, unique and incredibly attractive? It is worth choosing bright orchids, best of all - red color! How to choose a young plant, to care for it, and what mistakes do beginner gardeners make? Read on!
Beginners lovers of exotic plants often think - are there red orchids? The fact is that unscrupulous sellers often just paint the flowers of a plant before it is sold. The fact that the shade is artificial, you can learn only after 6-12 months! You can protect yourself from such purchases. Enough to get acquainted with the varieties of orchids in red. You can’t go wrong by choosing the following varieties:
- Ren. James-Stori;
- Ren. Philippinensis;
- Howeara Lava burst;
- Blc. Chia Lin New City;
- Ascda Bicentennial.
Red orchids: photo and description
Red flowers of orchids are perfectly combined with any design, refreshing it and adding bright notes. This unusual representative of tropical flora is distinguished by its elegance and fragility.In indoor plants there are thin elongated stems and dense fleshy leaves. The inflorescences of red orchids can have either several flowers or one. The amount depends on the care and conditions of detention.
How to choose an orchid
You can find an orchid in flower shops at any time of the year. However, experienced gardeners caution that it is not worth buying a heat-loving plant if the temperature outside does not exceed 0 ° C. During transportation a tropical plant may freeze and die. In addition, it is not recommended to acquire a flowering plant: it spends a large amount of energy on flowering, while being very depleted. It is possible that the blooming red orchid that has been standing for a long time in the storefront will die after the move.
When buying it is important to pay attention to the state of the root system of the plant. The first thing to do is to check how tightly the plant is “sitting” in a pot. To do this, gently clasp the base of the stem of an orchid and slightly move it. If the flower is unstable, it can be assumed that it has recently been transplanted. Such a plant is not worth buying - it has not yet taken root.Orchid roots should be dense and resilient. The fact that the plant is healthy, says a light green shade of the roots. Brown or dark gray roots indicate fungal diseases, excessive moisture, mechanical damage to the root system.
An indicator of the health of red orchids are leaves. In healthy plants, they are dense, elastic, green. You should not buy a copy, on the leaves of which there are spots, mechanical damage, dents.
Red Orchid: transplant description
Over time, the supply of beneficial trace elements in the substrate for orchids is depleted, the plant needs a transplant. How to carry it out so that it does not become a stress for the plant?
- To begin with, it is necessary to water the orchid copiously - this will allow you to safely remove it from the pot without damaging the root system.
- The next stage is washing the roots. You can immerse the orchid in warm water for 30-40 minutes to separate the remnants of the bark and substrate from the roots.
- It is important to examine the roots of orchids. If there are dry or rotten roots, they need to be cut. Gardeners recommend treating cutting sites with activated carbon powder.
- If the orchid has old yellow leaves, they should be removed. Places pruning can be treated with ordinary little green.
- Mandatory procedure - drying orchids. On average, it will take about 6 hours. To speed up the process will help wipes.
- The final stage is planting a tropical plant. By the way, the pot must be rinsed thoroughly in hot water. Drainage should be laid out at the bottom (3-4 cm), then a plant should be placed in the pot and the space between the roots should be covered with the substrate. Red orchid immediately after transplanting will require abundant watering. The first time it is better to water it from the shower, the water temperature should be 35 ° C. Bring to light the plant can be no earlier than a week. It is important to remember - the plant does not tolerate direct sunlight!
For watering red orchids can not use cold water. Not soft enough either. Experienced flower growers are advised to water the orchids, which have a red tint, with boiled water. It is important that the moisture does not fall on the so-called growth point, otherwise the plant will begin to rot. You can immerse the plants in the water right in the pot. After a few minutes, the water should be drained and the plant allowed to dry.
When growing it is important to take care of the indoor temperature.In the daytime, this figure should be +17 ... + 27 ° С. At night, the temperature should not fall below + 20 ° C. The main enemy of red orchids, photos of which are presented in the article, is a draft. It is important that the air in the room is circulated, but the plant should be protected from strong streams.
The first introduction of nutrients necessary orchid immediately after the store bloom. Fertilize only the purchased plant should not be - it gets used to a new place, and therefore is experiencing serious stress. In this case, the application of top dressing can harm. It is worth remembering the main rule: it is better to under-feed an orchid than to overfeed! It is not recommended to use fertilizers in the form of tablets - they can not evenly be distributed in the substrate. The only way to fertilize is water solution.
Florists recommend combining fertilizer with watering plants. During every second watering it is worthwhile to bring in nutrients. By the way, it is better to choose a special fertilizer for orchids. If you can not find this, you can feed a tropical flower with universal fertilizer for indoor plants.But it is necessary to pay attention to the nitrogen content - a large amount of it can adversely affect the flowering of red orchids. Therefore, the dose of complex fertilizer should be reduced: the best option is 1/3 of that indicated on the label.
We should also say that the fertilizer can not heal a sick orchid. A weakened or diseased flower must be cured, and only then must be given top dressing.
Often, beginning gardeners make a series of mistakes that lead to the fact that red orchids lose their unusual color, begin to weaken and die. We suggest you to get acquainted with the most common mistakes.
- The first thing that orchid buyers say is that the plant needs a transparent pot. Sellers assure that this is necessary so that the roots are in the sun. In fact, a transparent container is necessary, first of all, for orchid owners - it will allow monitoring the condition of the roots.
- It is believed that the red orchid loves high humidity. This is partly the case. The fact is that orchids do not like wet soil,and moist air! It is necessary to water a plant only when a net of wrinkles forms on the lower leaflets.
- Orchids can not be transplanted more than once every two or three years. It is during this time that the substrate is exhausted, it ceases to give moisture to the plant.
- Fertilizing the plant year round is not recommended. Make a top-up need only in the period of growth.
- Another mistake novice florist - watering in the afternoon. Watering an orchid is necessary in the morning, otherwise it will freeze.