Population of Cuba: description, number, employment and interesting facts
The Republic of Cuba is a state located in the northern part of the Caribbean Sea. The country includes the Big Juventud, as well as many small islands. The island is separated from North America by the Straits of Florida and the Yucatan. In 1945, Cuba became a member of the UN. Havana is the capital of the island and the largest city.
In this article, the interested traveler can find answers to such questions and get acquainted with the following topics: where is Cuba, population and demography in the country, economy and interesting facts about the population of Cuba, the nationality of the inhabitants of the republic.
Cuba is an island with mostly flat terrain. Only a third of the country is occupied by hills and mountains. The highest point of the state is Turkino Peak, about 1974 m.
The climate on the island is tropical, trade wind. The average temperature per year is +25.5. January is the coldest month.During this period, the temperature is about +22.5. August is considered the hottest month on the island. Usually the temperature reaches +28. Rainy time falls for the period May - September. Drought usually starts from October to April. The air here is very humid for a whole year. Residents fleeing heat from the sea.
Every year, the state attracts a large number of tourists with its beauty, warmth and hospitality. Every traveler can find white beaches, crystal clear turquoise water, reefs of extraordinary beauty, as well as an exotic underwater world.
Varadero is considered the most beautiful and largest resort in the country. The duration of its beach is 20 km. To the west of Havana is a tourist center - Soroa. Here is the orchid breeding center. It ranks second largest in the whole world. Juventud is one of the most beautiful places in the state. The evergreen vegetation blooming all year round attracts a large number of visitors. Everyone who visits Cuba will be delighted with its beauty and will want to come again.
Population size for 2016
According to statistics, the population of Cuba at the end of 2016 was 11 million 417 147 inhabitants.During the year, the population increased by about 16 thousand 417 inhabitants. Considering that at the beginning of the year the population of Cuba was 11,400,730 people, the annual increase in the state was 0.14%. The population of Cuba (description, number for 2016) is represented by the following data:
- in total for a year, 119 thousand 822 people were born;
- 87 thousand 330 people died;
- 32 thousand. 492 inhabitants - this is population growth;
- -16 thousand 075 people - this is the number of migration increase;
- according to data at the end of 2016, 5 million 742 226 is the male population;
- according to data at the end of 2016, 5 million 674 921 is the female population.
Population of Cuba: number for 2017
According to current forecasts, in 2017 the number of residents in the state will increase by 16 thousand 441 people and will be equal to 11 million 433 thousand 588 inhabitants. Also there is a positive natural increase in population throughout the year, it will be 32 thousand 539 inhabitants. According to the forecasts of demographers, about 119 thousand 994 people will be born during the year, and 87 thousand 455 people will die.
The population will change to -16,098 inhabitants as a result of migration, if the migration coefficient remains the same as in 2016. The number of people leaving this year will be more than the number of visitors to the long-term settlement. The population of Cuba for 2017 is characterized by the following data:
- about 329 babies per day;
- about 240 people die a day;
- -44 persons / day is a migration increase in the population;
- for 45 people per day will increase the population.
Population density and age groups
To calculate the population density, you need to know the total area of the territory and the number of people who live in the state. According to statistics from the UN Department, the total area of Cuba is 110 thousand 860 km². During the calculations, not only the land area is taken into account, but also water surfaces. At the beginning of 2017, the number of inhabitants in the country was 11 million 417 147 people. Based on these data, in 2017, the population density in the state was about 103 people per km².
According to calculations for 2017, the population of Cuba can be divided into 3 age groups. Age distribution:
- about 1 million 972 769 people - these are people under 15 years old, where 1 million 013 843 are men and 958 812 are women;
- people aged 14 to 65 years old make up 8 million 113 596 people, where 4 million 064 504 people - these are men, and 4 million 049 091 are women;
- residents over 64 years old are about 1 million 330 783, where 601 113 are men and 729 670 are women.
Cuba is a country of a regressive type, and is a state with a high level of medicine.
Life expectancy of citizens
Estimated life expectancy of a state is a demographic indicator that shows the average number of years of life of people in a state. In the country, the average age of residents is about 78 years. This figure is higher than the average life expectancy in the world. According to UN analytical data, the average age in all countries is 71 years.
In the state, the male population has a life expectancy of 76 years. The average life expectancy of the female population is up to 80 years.
According to analytical calculations, somewhere around 9 million 417 196 people from 15 years old can read and write. This is about 99.71% of the total number of people over 15 years old. About 27 thousand 182 inhabitants remain illiterate.
The literacy rate of the male population over 15 years is 4 million 649 474 people, about 99.65%. Approximately 16 thousand. 143 men remain illiterate. Among the female population, the level of education is 99.77%, which is about 4 million 767 722 women. About 11 thousand 039 women do not know how to write and read. Among young people between the ages of 15 and 24, the overall literacy rate is 99.89%, where 99.87% are men and 99.91% are women.
Population of Cuba: peoples and nationalities
On the island lived tribes of Aravak Indians: Sibonei, Guanatabei and Taino.But in the eighteenth century, as soon as the Spaniards captured Cuba, the invaders began to exterminate the indigenous Cubans. But because of the need for slaves to work on plantations, the Spaniards brought labor from Asia, Indians from Central and South America, and slaves from Africa.
Throughout the history of Cuba, immigrants from Germany, Spain, England, as well as from France settled on its territory. In the twentieth century, a large number of Americans moved to the island. The population of Cuba by race is represented by such groups:
- about 51% are mulattoes;
- 37% are residents of European countries;
- 11% are Africans;
- at 1% Cuba is populated by the Chinese.
Today, Cubans honor the traditions of their old ancestors and are proud of their Indian past. Although the Spanish language is official on the island, there are a lot of Native American words.
How does the population of Cuba, different nationalities and ethnic groups? Cuba is considered an agrarian-industrial state. True, the majority of citizens are still employed in the service sector (64.4%), three times less (21.2%) in agriculture. 14.4% of Cubans work in industry.
The country's economy is the most nationalized in the whole world.At present, the state’s economy is very much dependent on the price situation for sugar, as well as on tobacco and nickel on the world stage. Nonetheless, services account for a significant share in GDP - 68%. Industry and agriculture account for 26% and 5%, respectively.
Already in the eighties, the country actively began to develop international tourism. The authorities carried out the reconstruction of all tourist facilities and conducted a powerful advertising campaign. In 1992, about 500 thousand Europeans visited Cuba, and in 2003 there were about two million tourists. Until 2020, the authorities plan to attract up to seven million tourists a year.
In the country, medicine is at the highest level, and prices for medical services are small. For the islander, all medical care is free.
Cuba is known worldwide for its tobacco, rum and sugarcane. Island of Freedom is the second name of the state, which allows for an effective advertising campaign in the field of tourism. Since today Cuba is a very popular tourist destination, everyone will be interested to know the very people of Cuba, interesting facts about the state.Here is a list of the most unusual ones:
- Despite the high level of education of citizens, the education system is considered weak.
- It is not at all welcome and mixed marriages are condemned.
- Cubans love dogs, so a hairy friend lives in every home.
- About $ 20 per month - the average salary of an official.
- Cuban houses without windows.
- Since Cuba implements the national economy of electricity, until recently, grills, toasters and electric kettles were banned.
- Very expensive cellular, about $ 1 a minute.
- Cubans do not like cats.
- Internet access is limited, only about 12% of citizens have the opportunity to connect to the World Wide Web.
- Residents of the country live longer than residents of the United States.
- In the state there are no poisonous plants and deadly animals. Only a couple of venomous snakes are found.
- Cubans respectfully come from Russia and the republics of the former USSR.
- There is no advertising on Cuban TV channels.
- Ballet School is considered one of the best in the world.
- Private sale of fish and beef is prohibited.
- There is no hot water in the central system.
- There are no drunken citizens on the streets.
- You cannot kill your own cows or bulls.It is punishable by law.
- Oil is not produced, as the sources are located in tourist areas.
- Every Cuban is a professional dancer. The rhythm of the dance is in their blood.
In general, Cuba is the place where you may want to stay forever.