How to strengthen the floorboards. Methods of fixing the flooring
By arranging a floor covering in your house,owners carefully select the most high-quality materials, but not only does the reliability and durability of the flooring depend on them. Even the most expensive sheet piling can quickly fail if it is not properly attached to the base.
Today, the masters are available at once several ways of laying and fixing the finishing floor, therefore, before fixing the floorboards, you need to consider all the options and choose the best one.
On what basis can the flooring fit
The wooden floor can be installed on different types of surface. The following can serve as the basis:
- concrete floors with leveling layer;
- Lags located on top of slabs or laid on brick supports;
- false base of waterproof plywood;
- old floor;
- rough bottom of low grade lumber.
Before fixing the floorboards,release them from the packaging and decompose in the room in which they will be packed, for 3-5 days. This is necessary for the wood to become accustomed to the surrounding climate and not deformed after fixation. It is also very important that the moisture level of the finished substrate does not exceed 12%, and the index inside the room is within 50%.
Ways of fixing the board
Mounting boards is carried out in one of three possible ways. Namely:
- with the help of glue;
- special clamps (clamps);
- nails or self-tapping screws.
Fastening with nails
First, let's look at how to strengthen the floorboardswith the help of nails. At once it is necessary to make a reservation that this method can be applied only under condition of fixing of a flooring on a solid wooden basis or on logs.
So, the installation technology includes the following steps:
- From the square bar at a distance of 70 cm, lags are installed, pretreated with antiseptic composition. The thickness of the boards should be within 50-70 centimeters.
- The sound and heat insulation is laid. For this purpose, mineral wool or expanded clay can be used.
- Over the insulation materials, the boards are beginning to be mounted, having their groove side to themselves.
- The first bar is fixed with nails so that their hats do not interfere with further installation of the plinth.
- All subsequent boards are fixed with nails, which are carefully driven into the groove at an angle of 45 degrees. In those cases where the bar is shorter than the length of the room, the docking of the two elements is located on the lag.
- After finishing the laying of the finishing floor, you can start polishing it and decorating it.
In the same way, you can fix the floorboard with screws. For this purpose, choose special fasteners designed for working with wood.
If you decide to perform the installation with your own hands, you will probably have to ask yourself: what kind of self-tapping screws should be used to fasten the floorboard?
Professional masters during stylingThe floorboards have long been used with special screws, because they provide the maximum strong fixation of the strips and contribute to an increase in the life of the wood material. The main difference between these products is their shape and the presence of a protective layer.
Anticorrosion coating for a long timetime protects the metal element from the formation of rust, which can lead to a weakening of the fasteners. Wood screws come in different sizes, the choice of which depends on the thickness of the floorboard.
The tip of the screw is made in the shape of a blade, thankswhich the product is easily screwed into the board, weaving the fibers of the wood around its thread. At the base of the cap, the metal is completely smooth, which allows the floor to be fastened to the base as tightly as possible. Thus, the self-tapping screw is securely fixed in the structure of the lining material and ensures the planks remain stationary until they require replacement.
Features of laying the floor with glue
This method of mounting is widely used inrooms with low ceilings and can only be carried out on a solid and smooth base. The process is very similar to laying parquet, but it differs in that the slats are additionally fixed with screws. To understand how to properly fix the floorboard with glue, you should consider this technology in more detail.
- First of all, the base is coveredwaterproofing material, on top of which waterproof plywood is laid at least 18 mm thick. It is screwed to the rough floor with screws or dowels. Before fixing the floorboards, the prepared surface is thoroughly cleaned from dirt and dust.
- Using a notched trowel, the glue is applied to the base, where all the elements of the flooring fit together neatly.
- In addition, the screws in the slots of the boards can be screwed to ensure their immobility.
- In some cases, for a more durable joining, glue and grooves are also smeared, after which they are placed on the piles of the previous row.
Often manufacturers of sheet piling boardscomplete their products with special clamps. They help to fix the material in a secret way, so that all fasteners remain invisible. So, let's consider the technology of installing wooden flooringwith the help of clamps.
- On the internal protrusions of the grooves are set special slats, which are fixed with screws. It should be noted that the bolt head should not prevent the stud from densely entering the groove.
- With the help of nails, the clamp is nailed to the base, after which the planks of the next row are inserted into the groove. Their fastening is carried out in a similar way.
- If the last bar does not completely enter the remaining space, it is cut to the desired size and fastened already with nails or self-tapping screws.
The installation of a plank floor is the most important step in thethe process of repair of flooring, because the quality of work depends on the strength and durability of the entire finish. We hope that after studying this information, you will understand how to strengthen the floorboard, and you will be able to perform all your future work independently.