Homemade compressor from the refrigerator
In the modern world there is simply a huge amount of various equipment and tools, for which you must have compressed air. At the same time there are a lot of other applications where this element is used as a driving force, or it is the main one in the process of operation. Given this, the question of how to make a home-made compressor is of great interest to many people, even if only to be able to connect a spray gun or a small pneumatic tool.
Before proceeding to the manufacture of such units, you must first determine their purpose. The fact is that different types of work require a device with strictly defined parameters. Therefore it is worth considering the most popular areas used in everyday life, and determine which homemade compressor is needed for them.
Most often, these products are used in order to be able to connect a spray gun or airbrush.These tools do not need very high pressure, and the compressor should not be too bulky for them to be moved if necessary.
The easiest way to make a homemade airbrush compressor out of the refrigeration unit. It is almost always made in a sealed form with the camera and the engine. As a receiver it is worth using small tanks in the form of fire extinguishers or small gas cylinders.
Pneumatic tools usually require a certain amount of pressure. At the same time, it is necessary to say that there are so many varieties and models of such devices, which differ in a parameter called “air flow”. It is analogous to the power of an electric tool.
Given this, for such purposes using a homemade compressor from the compressor ZIL-130. It is quite powerful, and in the presence of a good receiver is quite suitable for such work. Therefore, the tool is already selected for it, taking into account the technological requirements of specific work.
Sandblasting machines and press
For the operation of such devices need homemade high pressure compressors. And in some cases they are not used to create a certain pressure, but for the long-term maintenance of air flow. It all depends on the model of the powered systems and their characteristics.
Typically, these units put quite large receivers capable of maintaining the necessary pressure. It is believed that a home-made compressor from the ZIL-130 compressor is better for such a device, but with the right approach you can use the motor from the refrigerator. The main thing is to think about the system correctly.
Aquarium and decorative devices
Usually for similar products such as aquariums, jacuzzis or other devices, small and low-power compressors are used. At the same time, they do not need a receiver at all or use small tanks for it. Therefore, a homemade compressor for an aquarium is usually connected directly, although it is equipped with a check valve.
Given this, taking a large unit for such products does not make sense. However, it is worth considering that sometimes it is much easier and cheaper to purchase a device from the refrigerator than a small specialized compressor.
All work should be divided into several stages.In addition, each of them requires certain knowledge and skills. The fact is that even the simplest self-made compressor for painting needs not only to be connected to the system using pipes and hoses, but also to electrical control methods.
Practically all the main elements and nodes can be created from used things, but some elements will have to be purchased separately. In fact, to work will need the following parts:
- Capacity for the manufacture of the receiver. As it can be used an old fire extinguisher, gas cylinder or hydroaccumulator.
- Starting relay. If you plan to make a homemade compressor out of the refrigerator, then you can use its native unit, and there is a ready-made seat for it.
- Overpressure valve. In this case, it is necessary to purchase a new product that is tuned to the required value or has a regulator.
- Pressure compensator. It is needed to be able to adjust the output flow, regardless of how much pressure is in the system and at the inlet.
- Pressure gauge. It is desirable that this device has adjustable contacts that can be set to a certain value.
- Control relay.It can be used to supply current to the starting circuit, depending on the position of the contacts.
- Moisture separator. This site is quite expensive, but it is he who is responsible for the life and quality of the product. Therefore, it is easier to make a homemade moisture separator for the compressor from an old oil filter, using silicone gel as a filler.
- Check valve to protect the compressor.
- To connect all the nodes need pipes and fitinovye connections. Also need a wire to power the electrical circuits.
- If desired, you can create a frame on which to mount all the nodes.
When assembling all systems, you may need:
- welding machine;
- Bulgarian with cutting wheels;
- a set of tools (wrenches, screwdrivers, hammer, etc.);
- soldering iron;
- drill with drills.
In fact, the list of tools required for operation depends on what type of compressor will be manufactured, and which components are used for this.
Work with the unit
If you plan to create a self-made ZIL compressor, namely from a car, then no additional work is required with the unit itself.It can be immediately installed on the frame and connect the engine. It is best to use a belt drive.
However, when a homemade compressor is made from the engine of a refrigerator, a certain refinement is required. It is best to immediately cut the case on the top cover and carefully remove the mechanism.
Then you should clean the device and refill it with oil. You also need to change all the hoses and connect the inner ends of the inlet and outlet to each other. Although it depends on the model of the compressor itself.
Immediately it should be said that homemade air compressors usually work with a large amount of oil. Therefore, all hoses should be purchased in a car shop with this environment.
After all, the mechanism is again placed in the housing and covered with a lid. It can be fixed by soldering. However, you should immediately consider replacing this part, as it will be very difficult to install it back.
At the inlet of the compressor should be fixed air filter. This will protect it from excess pollution. At the outlet of the same mounted check valve.
Install the compressor in the same position in which he worked on the refrigerator. At the same time it is fixed in the suspension bed using springs. In fact, you can completely cut the seat on the refrigerator and mount it on the frame.
Some experts suggest using additional rubber pads to get rid of excess vibration. You can also use noise insulation, increasing the level of comfort with the product.
It is best to use for the manufacture of this node capacity of 25 liters. If a homemade compressor from the refrigerator will be used for an airbrush, then this receiver will be enough for two hours of operation with the power off. This will help extend the life of the device.
First of all, an overpressure valve must be installed on the container. This can be done by welding or threading for the seat. It all depends on the capacity itself.
Then make the inlet through which air will flow inward. You can immediately mount the barometer on it, and then the dehumidifier. The air must be dry in the system so that the liquid does not collect, as this will reduce its lifetime and pressure level.
At the outlet of the receiver set pressure compensator. Thanks to him, it will be possible to adjust the air supply.
The receiver is also fixed on the frame, but without shock absorbers. At the same time, it is immediately connected to the outlet of the compressor using hoses or pipes. It is best to use flexible materials that small vibration does not hurt.
A hose can be connected to the outlet of the container, connecting it to the required device. It should be fastened to the clamps so that you can make a quick replacement if necessary.
Creating a homemade compressor, you should not save on automatic control systems. They greatly help to save time and allow you to leave the unit unattended. Therefore, it is very important to purchase a pressure gauge with a limiter and an additional contact pair.
The power system wiring is quite simple. Power is supplied to the pressure gauge contact group. In this case, its arrows are set so that it is in the closed state until the pressure rises to the desired value, and again connected at the other, minimum value.
Then from there the wires are connected to the relay on the compressor itself. In this case, it will turn on only when the minimum pressure is reached, and turn off - at the maximum value. It is also a good idea to install an additional power line with a button that can be used in manual mode in parallel.
It is best to take a manometer for work, in which the contacts of the working group can withstand the mains voltage. However, they are quite difficult to find, and products with a nominal value of 24 volts are more common. In this case, you must use a transformer, which will be included in the circuit with contacts and relay.
For a start, shut off the outlet valve and fill the receiver with air. The pressure in it is selected on the basis of the initial characteristics of the device, which previously was the capacity. This value is set as the maximum allowable.
The overpressure valve is usually set to a nominal 1.2 times the upper limit. It is advisable to check it by turning off the manometer contacts or by setting the maximum level higher.
With a pressurized system, all nodes are checked for air leaks. It is easy to find by the characteristic whistling sound.Also, a similar defect can be identified using soapy water.
As a lower limit, a value equal to the minimum pressure required for the operation of a specific tool or device is set on the pressure gauge. After that, note the time during which the receiver will become empty during continuous operation. This data will help to plan the entire workflow.
It is also very important to check the operation of the electrical circuit. The compressor should turn on when the pressure in the receiver reaches the specified minimum, and when filled to the maximum it must shut off. If this does not happen, then it is worth once again to check the entire electrical circuit.
Recommendations of specialists
- If a homemade compressor is not mounted in the housing or on the frame, then it will be very difficult to transport. This may damage the joints. However, when fixing on a common frame it is very important to solve the problem of vibration.
- When purchasing a pressure gauge, you should immediately find a seal or tag on it that would indicate the date of its last check. If it is not, then such a device is not worth buying. Even new products have similar labeling.
- Sometimes it is much easier to purchase a ready-made site than to create it yourself. However, some things just do not happen on sale. They are either very rare, or they have other characteristics that do not meet the design requirements.
- On the receiver itself is to make a small valve so that you can bleed the air. This will allow to transport the unit without residual pressure in the system. Also, this faucet will provide an opportunity to drain the liquid that will accumulate in the system, despite the presence of a large number of filters and other measures for the separation of moisture from the air.
- Some masters, in order not to make any extra holes in the tank, prefer to create one branched outlet, installing all the necessary nodes on it. This is a fairly practical solution, but according to safety rules, an overpressure valve must necessarily be located on the receiver itself.
- If during the work with the device it is necessary to obtain a suction effect, then in addition it is necessary to make a special device of two thin tubes welded to each other at an angle of 45 degrees. By supplying air from the side of an acute angle, it is possible to obtain the necessary impact from the welded end.
- Before starting work, it is worth exploring the market for finished products of this type and assess their estimated costs. It may be much cheaper and easier to purchase a product in a store than to create it yourself.
After examining how a home-made compressor is made, it is worth understanding that this work requires a certain amount of knowledge and experience from the performer. Also need a lot of different tools, among which can be quite expensive types.
However, if it is necessary to obtain a special device with individual parameters that are ideally suited for a particular tool or type of work, the assembly will have to be done by yourself. At the same time, it should be immediately understood that such products require quite large costs, although if we take parts or parts that have already been used into operation, then the costs can be significantly reduced.