Great Luke: attractions. What to see in the Great Bows?
Traveling through the ancient cities of Russia, it is impossible to ignore the Great Luke. Attractions located on its territory are distinguished by magnificence and uniqueness. They are able to tell a lot to tourists about the history of the city and the culture of its inhabitants at different times.
The Great Luke: Location and History
Velikiye Luki (Russia) is located in the southeastern part of the Pskov Region, on the banks of the Lovati River. This city is passed by all who move by road from Moscow to Riga or vice versa. Great Luke is not only one of the most ancient settlements in the Pskov region, but also the second largest after its administrative center.
The history of the Great Onions is traced in the annals since 1166. Until the 18th century, the settlement was the frontier land of Veliky Novgorod and was part of the Novgorod Republic.Already at that time, the city of Great Luke had its own administration. In 1478, the settlement was annexed to the Principality of Moscow by Vasily III. During the 14th century, the Great Luke belonged to different domains. During the Northern War, the fortress, which, by decree of Peter I and the designs of L. Magnitsky, was reconstructed, played the role of a military fortification.
In 1812, the Great Luke received the status of the district city of the Pskov province. In the period from 1920 to 1940, the settlement consistently belonged to different provinces and regions. During the Great Patriotic War the city experienced many trials. That is what led to the loss of numerous architectural monuments that the Great Luke had on their territory at that time. After the war, the Pskov Region incorporated this city into its composition, and until 1950 it was rebuilt. Today Velikie Luki is a settlement with modern architecture and numerous sights worth visiting.
One of the most famous objects in the Great Bows is a fortress, which was built in the XIII century. At first it was wooden and played the role of military fortifications during the numerous sieges of Poles and Lithuanians.During the reign of Peter I, a new earthen fort in the form of an irregular hexagon was built on the site of the dilapidated structure. There were cannons on each of its corners. The circumference of the fortress at the foot of the shaft was 2 km, and the height - 21 m. Inside the building you could get through one of the two gates - the Western and Northern. The first modern tourists have the opportunity to see, but the second, unfortunately, have not survived, but this should not be a reason for not visiting the Great Luke. Sights located behind the high walls of the fortifications, including the Resurrection Cathedral, barracks, arena, prison, etc., unfortunately, were also lost.
The fortress retained its strategic importance until the 18th century. The last time for its intended purpose building was used during the Velikolukskaya operation. Then the Nazis turned it into a powerful fortified point, but the soldiers of the 357th Infantry Division were able to win it back. It was in memory of these events that the obelisk of Glory was installed on the bastion of the fortress in 1960.
Not far from the fortress there is a recreation park of the city of Velikie Luki.Sights on its territory are presented in the form of the Arena sports complex, Dyatlinka Island, to which a beautiful pedestrian suspension bridge leads through Lovat, as well as a monument to the hero of the Soviet Union A. Matrosov. Thanks to him, it became possible to successfully complete the attack on a stronghold near the village of Chernushki. Near the monument passes the Walk of Fame, on which the Eternal Flame burns.
In the park, located in the city of Velikie Luki (Pskov region), all conditions for recreation of citizens and tourists of any age are created. There are many shops installed under the tent of numerous green trees near bright flower beds, as well as playgrounds and a large number of attractions for adults and children.
Quite a few old buildings survived in the city of Velikie Luki. Sights of different eras were destroyed during the Second World War. However, the church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, which was built in 1821, still survived. It is made in the Baroque style and has retained its original appearance to the present day.
In the 18th century, Holy Ascension Cathedral was built on the site of a male monastery, which began to relate to a female monastery.Another ancient religious object of the Great Onions, which, unfortunately, has not survived to our days, are the remains of a Catholic church built in 1904 Today you can see only fragments of its walls and the foundation.
Drama Theater and Monument to K. K. Rokossovsky
According to historical data, the Drama Theater, which today is located on Oktyabrsky Avenue, existed at the beginning of the 19th century. However, at an early stage, he was more amateur than professional. A new active stage in the development of the theater began in 1919 with the staging of the play “At the bottom” by M. Gorky. Since then, the repertoire of the troupe has been constantly expanding, and from 2002 to 2005 she performed a tour of the cities of the CIS. Therefore, modern lovers of theatrical art can be sure that they will definitely have something to see here.
In Velikiy Luki Marshal of the Soviet Union K. K. Rokossovsky spent most of his life. Therefore, it is not surprising that a monument was erected in his square opposite the theater.
Museums of the Great Bow
Many museums have on their territory the Great Luke. Sights,which can be seen in the city along with numerous museum exhibits, give tourists the opportunity to put together the most complete impression of this village.
Thus, the local history museum, which was founded in 1919, is the most popular. However, today the building of this cultural object is in emergency condition, and in 1992, it was moved to the Museum of Glory. A. Matrosov.
When planning to visit the city of Velikie Luki, you should also include in your itinerary an acquaintance with the House-Museum of Academician Vinogradov, which is located on Stavsky Street. The uniqueness of this object is that the idea of its creation arose among the locals during the life of the mathematician, thanks to which he took an active part in the restoration of the parents' house: he described living rooms in detail, appearance, made some sketches in watercolor. The museum contains a lot of genuine materials of the scientist.
The attention of the guests of Great Bow also deserves the Museum of the History of the Great Patriotic War and the Museum of Post.