Cooking Tips: When Salting Potatoes When Cooking
Each hostess has their own cooking secrets. This also applies to potatoes, from which they create various dishes. The important point is the salting of food. The time depends on the cooking method. When salting potatoes during cooking, is described in the article.
Types of salt
In many ways, when salting potatoes during cooking depends on the type of salt:
- Plain stone. It can be added to food at any time during the preparation phase.
- "Extra". This species is considered whiter and has a rich taste. Because of this, it must be added less than normal.
- Iodized. It has not very rich taste compared to stone. Previously, it was believed that this product makes the potatoes darker, since iodine is able to react with starch. This is true if the salt includes potassium iodide. But now the product is enriched with potassium iodate, which can not affect the color changes of the dish. This information can be found on the packaging.When to salt potatoes during cooking, if you use iodized salt? It can be added for 3-5 minutes before cooking, and even better - after cooking.
- Sea The product is enriched with iodine and other valuable trace elements. During heating it decomposes, iodine disappears. If you add it early, then there is a specific flavor. When to salt potatoes when boiling with sea salt? It is added to the finished dish or 3-5 minutes before cooking.
Therefore, the answer to the question of when it is necessary to salt the potatoes when cooking, depends on various reasons. If the tastes of the guests are known, then you can prepare the appropriate type of dish. And if not, then it is better to make everyone add as much salt as he needs.
Rules for cooking potatoes
Novice housewives need to know that potatoes are required:
- Medium size.
- Without damage.
- Large tubers should be cut into several pieces.
Vegetables must be washed. To clean or not depends on the type of dish you want to cook. Small tubers boil faster. But when cut, the potato loses its valuable properties.
The cooking procedure is as follows:
- Prepared tubers should be placed in a saucepan, pour cold water.The liquid should cover the product slightly.
- Dishes placed on the stove, covered with a lid. Then turn on the middle fire.
- It is necessary to wait for boiling water, after which the fire must be reduced and cook until ready.
- In conclusion, it is worth adding salt to taste.
Peeled boiled potatoes
Among the hostesses there are different opinions on whether to salt the potatoes during cooking and when to do it. From the time of adding this product depends on the taste of ready meals. Is it necessary to salt the potatoes when boiling, if they are peeled? It is necessary to do this, while there are several ways to perform this procedure:
- Salt is added to cold water with tubers when the pan is set on fire. But there is a risk of salting the dish, as there will be a slow dissolution of this white product. In addition, potatoes can boil soft, turn out watery.
- Adding salt when boiling is allowed. So many housewives do. Tubers will be less boiled up compared to the previous situation.
- Water can be salted 5-7 minutes after boiling. Then the tubers retain their shape.
- Water can not salt. When the potatoes are ready, the liquid is removed, put salt and a little butter in a saucepan.Then the container should be closed with a lid. It should be shaken several times to evenly distribute the oil. After 5-10 minutes the dish is laid out in plates. A potato cooked without salt has a flavor, as if it was steamed.
- Potatoes cooked in unsalted water are served at the table. And separately you need to submit salt and butter. Each person can salt the product to taste.
For the preparation of mashed potatoes should not take a lot of water, it should cover the surface of the potatoes. After boiling it is necessary to remove the foam. When to salt potatoes when cooked on mashed potatoes? This should be done after 5-10 minutes after boiling. Salt water prolongs the cooking time and makes the main product harder.
To establish how much salt is required, you need to try the water, but before that stir it. It should have a nice salty taste. Do not allow a strong boil of water, and cook over low heat. The dish is ready when the knife or fork easily enters the vegetables. It is necessary to drain the water, after which you should mash the potatoes. To improve the taste you need to add warm milk.
A popular dish is jacket potatoes.To prepare it, you will need to go through the following steps:
- Vegetables should be thoroughly washed. For cleaning, it is advisable to use a new clean sponge for dishes: dirt is perfectly erased using the hard side.
- Washed tubers should be placed in a saucepan, pour cold water so that it is 2 cm above the vegetables. Do they salt the potatoes in their uniform during cooking? This should be done after boiling: add about 0.5 tbsp. l on 1 liter of water.
- Then you need to close the lid and bring water to a boil, and then reduce the heat. Cooked product about 20 minutes. At the end you need to check for readiness.
- After that, drain the water and leave to cool if the product is a side dish. You can fill the potatoes with water so that they cool faster, and then it can be used for salad.
The following recommendations will be helpful to the housewives during the preparation of potato dishes:
- So that potatoes do not boil soft, starchy varieties should be used for vinaigrettes or salads.
- To keep the tubers whole, more salt is added to the water.
- To speed up the cooking, do not add soda, because all the vitamins will disappear.
- Improve the taste of the product will help cooking with a small amount of water, which is added 1 spoon of margarine.
- Cooked potatoes should not be stored in broth, otherwise it will be watery and tasteless.
- You should not drink potato broth, it is suitable for cooking soup or sauce.
- For all tubers to be soft on the outside and inside, boil with a moderate boil is required.
- The taste of the product will be much better if you add 2 cloves of garlic and bay leaf into the water.
- To clean a young potato, it should be placed in a container with cold, salted water.
Other types of potato dishes
Salting time depends on the type of dish:
- The earlier the salt chips, the more it will be like stew: get soft, soaked with butter. But the crisp will not appear. In order for the potato to crunch, it must be salted 5-7 minutes before it is cooked.
- Stewed potatoes are soaked in the sauce in which it is cooked. Since there is salt in this sauce, it should not be added. To taste the dish is salted 5-10 minutes before cooking.
- Steam potatoes retain the natural aroma. It is advisable to add salt to the plate when butter is put.
- French fries should be reddened and crusty. Therefore, in the process of cooking it is not salted. This should be done after removing the oil before serving.
The subtleties of cooking allow you to get delicious and nutritious meals. It is important to consider the time to add salt. At the same time, all housewives have their own special cooking secrets.