Barguzinsky Bay on Lake Baikal: description, history, sights and interesting facts
Barguzinsky Bay is an amazing, picturesque place, which is part of Baikal. Every year a lot of tourists come here, because this place offers a lot of active entertainment and just beautiful nature.
Barguzinsky Bay. Description
Barguzinsky Bay is located on Baikal, in its central part. On the right bank. This is one of the most famous bays of the lake, since it has the largest area - 725 km2and also a depth of 1284 m is the maximum indicator of the whole Baikal.
The bay received its name thanks to a large tributary of the Barguzin River, which flows into the lake. It is located between two capes - Krestovsky and Lower Head of the Head, the distance between which along the coast is 90 km.
The coast of the Barguzinsky Bay is rocky from the side of the Holy Nose peninsula.And deep taiga stretches. The east coast, from the mouth of the Barguzin River, is famous for its sandy beaches, which are filled with tourists in the summer season. And on its larger area there are wetlands, small lakes, and bushy plains.
Stunning nature is not the only thing that can surprise the Barguzinsky Bay on Lake Baikal. There are a lot of sights here, both natural and man-made. What can surprise the bay?
- Holy Nose is the largest Baikal peninsula located in the waters of the bay. It is a fort of the Barguzin range. From its elevations, most of the bay will be clearly visible. But admiring the beauty from the top is the final part. First, the height must be "conquered." Therefore, Holy Nose is a place of pilgrimage for lovers of hiking, tent overnight stays, and active recreation. The hike across the peninsula will take several days, two of which will go to conquer the summit. Many tourists say that on the rise there are incredible views of the sunset. But this is all in the summer season, and in winter the peninsula is full of lovers of snowboarding and skiing.
- Dukhovoye Lake is an amazing place, sacred for the Buryat and Evenk peoples. An ancient Evenk legend is associated with the lake: in ancient times, two warring clans lived near the lake. But it so happened that the young man and the girl, whose families hated each other, fell in love with each other. Together they could not be, so they decided to unite their destinies at the bottom of the lake. Evenki believe that lovers still exist in the waters of the lake and hate their families. And its name "Wind" was given to the place because air bubbles rise from its bottom.
- Another attraction of the Barguzinsky Bay is the park-museum "Svetlaya Polyana". In the park there is a museum that tells about the region, and near the Chivyrkuy peninsula there are bird swamps. Interesting and Suvinsky Saxon castle.
Bukh-Shalun is a prominent place in the territory of the Barguzinsky Bay. This is the valley of the worship of spirits, which are revered by the Buryat people. Here local shamans perform their rituals, Buryat believers make pilgrimages and tourists just come.
This memorable place is located between the villages of Bodon and Suvo.In this valley, the so-called Master of the Valley manages, to which the locals seek help. According to local shamans, before asking the spirit, you must first tell about yourself, your activities, then you need to ask permission from the Host to travel through the valley of "thousands of spirits", and only then express your wishes.
The place where the Host of the Valley “lives” is the sacred stone, near which there are columns, on which the “parishioners” hang tapes or pieces of cloth (Buryat tradition). This stone is endowed with its own legend, which the locals love to tell tourists.
At the same time in one place on the shore of Lake Baikal, two bulls (bukh) met, which were powerful and equally strong. And as two leaders, they began to fight for the right to be the master of a sacred place. The struggle lasted more than one night and more than one day, but they could not determine which of them was stronger. Not able to fight anymore, the bulls decided to conclude an agreement according to which one of them would become the owner of the Barguzin valley, and the other the owner of the Tunkinskaya (not less significant and sacred place).And one of the bulls turned into a stone Buch-Shalun, and the other - Buch-Noyon. Locals worship these bulls, and each bukh is served by their own shaman.
Suvinsky Castle is a chain of mountain peaks that resemble the castle towers from afar. You can visit this place, having reached the Bolshoe Alginskoe Lake, not far from the village of Suvo. The indigenous people are convinced that Suvinsky Castle is the former fortress of the Barguts, the ancient inhabitants of the valley.
Barguzinsky Bay is known for its sandy beaches - an ideal swimming place with clean golden sand on the shore and at the bottom of the lake. Travelers who rest on these beaches tell about unforgettable sunsets.
No less important point. Fishing on the Barguzinsky Bay is one of the types of recreation for which this place is famous. Not surprising. It is just full of fish of various kinds.
However, more often, grayling and the famous Baikal omul are caught here. This is due to the fact that these types of fish prefer cold water.
The following fish varieties also fall into the fishing nets:
Avid fishermen have the opportunity to make underwater hunting for marine life. The process will bring not only sports pleasure, but also aesthetic, since the seabed is an amazing and interesting world.
For lovers of fishing in open waters, and the following opportunity. You can order a boat or boat and leave the coast for a few hours.
Fishing in the bay is carried out year-round: in winter and in summer. And winter fishing is no less popular. Low Siberian temperatures are not a hindrance to a great, rich catch.
Holiday for tourists
When tourists are just planning to visit the Baikal expanses, the overnight issue becomes one of the topical issues. The real lovers of nature, of course, will prefer the tent view of the night. There are many advantages of this type of accommodation, but it is worth considering that nights in the Baikal region are often cold.
Therefore, you can comfortably sit in the camps of the Barguzinsky Bay. Fortunately there is plenty to choose from. For example, in Ust-Barguzinsky, 6 guest houses were built near the bay.
Especially popular among avid tourists is the tourist base "Svetlaya Polyana", located in the town of Maksimikha. The recreation center is located on the territory of the picturesque park-museum. After removing the house, vacationers can choose a variety of entertainment, which operate on the base:
- take a steam bath in a real Russian bath;
- take a bike ride or ride a rented river transport;
- do sports activities: football, badminton or volleyball;
- swim and sunbathe on the sandy beach;
- on the shore there is a special fenced place with barbecues and smoke boxes located on it.
In Maximich there are 8 more camp sites. And even a few hotels.
But how to get to the Barguzinsky Bay? This question is particularly relevant for those who first decided to go to Lake Baikal.
Many experienced travelers prefer to drive their own car. Those who do not want to risk, can get to the Barguzinsky Bay by train.
The first control point will be Irkutsk. Then either by car or by bus, the journey to the bay will take 10 hours along the M-55 highway. The correctness of the route will be confirmed by the settlements of Kultuk, Slyudyanka, Baikalsk, Babushkin,Tankhoi and Tataurovo, through which the way to the place of rest lies.
The village Tataurovo will be the second control point. Here, the car will have to be loaded onto a ferry and with it to make a crossing over the Selenga River to Ust-Barguzin. This will be the final point. Some may stay on the left bank of the village, and those who need to move to the right, will have to take the ferry.
Those traveling without a car can first get to Irkutsk by train. From there - either 10 hours by bus, or 11 hours by boat straight to Ust-Barguzin. Everything is very simple.
You can get to Barguzinsky Bay on Baikal, either by car or by bus, from Ulan-Ude. The journey takes 4 hours. On the bus, and after - random hitch. Or an hour by car in a straight line.
Rest in the Barguzinsky Bay will be an unforgettable time. No wonder foreign tourists are constantly coming to the lake. And Russian travelers prefer rest on Lake Baikal, rather than overseas places.