Annotations to the articles. How to write an annotation to the article: an example
in Russian, with respect to genre diversity is very rich and contains several varieties. To one of them belong essays, notes, theses, annotations. This type is called the “scientific information style”, i.e. thanks to these genres, the reader obtains the necessary brief knowledge of a particular subject.
What is abstract?
If you open the first page of any book, you can immediately see a brief introductory information about it. This is the abstract. By and large, this is the name of a brief description of any work, be it a work of art, a dissertation, or an article. And it depends on how clearly it is presented, whether the given study will interest the publisher or reader.
The word "abstract" goes back to the Latin annotatio - remark. It can also be called a summary ("abbreviated" - from French). And in fact, and in another source contains the main essence of this genre.
When the authors are faced with the task of writing annotations to articles, they certainly need to remember that in a few sentences it is necessary to state the main idea of the future publication. And this must be done very briefly and as convincingly as possible. The official recommended size for such a resume is usually less than 1000 characters.
What does annotation consist of?
This genre of scientific and informative style contains two essential parts. In the first, the original source is certainly characterized, it defines the goal that its author set himself, his main thought, the scale of the research. The work methodology and the results obtained are also described.
The second part defines the audience for which the article is to be annotated. In this case, you certainly need to determine how accessible the language of presentation.
In some cases, annotations to articles may contain additional information. They are appropriate to talk about the composition, the structure of the original source, as well as to acquaint with the illustrative material used in it. In conclusion, it would not be superfluous to indicate what new thoughts and ideas were expressed by the author in the study, to acquaint him with his conclusions or recommendations.
What functions does annotation do?
At the beginning of a book or publication, as a rule, the data about the author (s) of the article are indicated. After them comes the actual abstract. Its function includes the representation of an extended job title. It also works as an element of bibliographic records, imprint data, as well as the design of materials to be published.
Annotations to the articles should: a) give a person who wants to get acquainted with the content of the study, the opportunity to determine its main meaning and understand whether this source has practical value for him; b) to facilitate the search for the necessary information and documents in scientific, as well as library and, in particular, automated systems.
Summarizing all the above, it should be emphasized that, with respect to the reader, the main function of the annotation is to facilitate a quick assessment of what is written in the article. And also to decide whether its content is worthy of more careful study.
Types of annotations
Depending on the nature of this genre can be divided into two groups. The first can be attributed to background annotations to articles. Their goal is to draw the reader’s attention to the features of this work, to the level of the information offered. What should be highlighted here? It is necessary:
- reveal the main purpose of the title;
- very briefly outline the content;
- provide the necessary information about the author;
- if there are illustrations, mention it and characterize them;
- identify the target audience.
A more complex type of annotation is advisory. From reference it differs in that it may contain an element of criticism. With the help of compelling arguments, this type of annotation can either convince or dissuade the reader to get acquainted with the proposed publication. In addition to the usual information about the author, comments or comments on the content of the work, the recommendatory annotation to the scientific article seems to be a mark for the research. At the same time comparing it with other similar works.
Annotation to the article: its features
It is necessary to adhere to individual comments on the design.
- So, the abstract to the article from the journal should be a compact, structured, informative and informative presentation of the main thoughts.
- The style of presentation should be concise. Complex verbal constructions should be avoided.
- It excludes the use of common words.
- You can not write in the first person.
- You should not use narrow technical or scientific terms that are not understandable to the majority of the readership.
Simply put, the presentation of the publication - this is the summary of the article. Examples of its use can be seen in various newspapers, magazines and textbooks.
Rules for writing annotations to articles
- A brief description of the source being presented should not retell its content. You can not transfer to the abstract sentences or phrases from the article.
- Numbers, tables, text footnotes are inappropriate here.
- Before you write the abstract to the article, you should know that the materials that are not mentioned in it, do not need to bring. This is extra information.
- If the title of the article does not decipher the topic, the goals, the subject of the study, it should be done in the abstract.
- The results of the work are described with precise and extremely informative phrases.
- It is worth mentioning the patterns and relationships found in the process of work, emphasizing their novelty.
- Annotation language should correspond to the scientific and technical style, be simple, clear and concise. Unspecific wording, introductory words here should be excluded.
Abstract on the article in English is built on a single model with the Russian, of course, if published in our country according to Russian standards.
Rules for writing annotations to scientific articles
One of several important elements in the clear structure of the study is the creation of a brief description of it. Annotation to a scientific article is written upon completion of work on it after careful editing of a future publication.
Before you write an abstract to the article, you need to familiarize yourself with the standards for the design of such work.
- The introductory word should correspond to the title of the research topic.
- The purpose of the work should be indicated.
- It is necessary to describe its practical and scientific significance.
- It is possible to describe the methods / methodology of the work done, especially if they differ in the new approach and this will be of interest.
- It is necessary to sum up the main results and conclusions of the annotated study.
- To tell about the importance of the contribution made by this work to this or that branch of science.
- Emphasize the practical value of the research results.
An example of the annotation to the scientific article
In order to more objectively present exactly how a brief description of a particular source should be written, let us refer to the ready-made sample, since the examples speak for themselves, the examples speak for themselves.
We propose to consider a small part of Z.G. Kapitonova’s resume to the article “The singing canon and its transformation in the works of composers of the new direction of the late XIX - early XX century”: “The article aims to consider the effect of preserving and transforming the artistic canon. As a result of the analysis, the author for the first time proves that there are texts with a stable canonized type of structure. ”